What's in a Cake?
Cakes are a form of sweet dessert, typically made by baking-be it in ovens or modern-day microwaves. You might say that it is an evolution of bread- yes indeed, the first cake was made completely by mistake as a modification while baking bread. However now, this particular dessert can be seen in the middle of most party tables in various forms ranging from pastries, and custards to pies and served alongside ice-cream and other complimenting sweets to go with it.
The usual cake ingredients being flour, baker's sugar, eggs, oil, butter or margarine along with baking powder or soda, the need for decoration gives rise to the use of other special ingredients like fresh or dried fruits, cocoa, fresh cream, shaven bits of chocolate, and others like vanilla extracts. With changing times, decoration has reached a new height with even kit-kats and gems being used to decorate cakes. As for the decoration part, the only thing that can limit you, is your own imagination.
Mostly used as a celebratory dish, cakes were usually cut on birthdays and anniversaries or to celebrate an event like graduation or marriage. However, in today's menu, cakes often form a vital part of the dessert palate, often coming in the form of brownies and are accompanied by cake, molten chocolate, and more.
The long history of cakes
The very word "cake" has a story all by itself. It is of Viking origin, and comes from the Norse word kaka. The Greeks called it 'plakoeis' meaning flat. Heavier and richer cakes were called 'satura' meaning heavy flat cake, and 'placenta' for a pastry based cake.
The Greeks decided to use beer to leaven cakes and they fried fritters in olive oil and made cheesecakes from goat's milk. To make richer cakes, the basic bread dough was enriched in butter, honey, eggs and this made the cake sweeter and better.
Most early cakes in England were basically breads, and the only difference being the shape-cakes were round, and flat, and that cakes were turned over while baking. Sponge cakes finally came into existence possibly during renaissance in Spain.
Cakes can be broadly divided into several varieties, mostly on the basis of ingredients and the way in which the various ingredients are mixed.
While some might think that bread and cakes are quite different, the line between them might be thin, such as what would you consider banana bread as? Cake or bread?
- Various butter cakes are made using creamed butter, eggs, flour, sugar and cream. Various combination of butter and sugar with varying beating techniques help incorporate different amounts of air into the batter to make the cake fluffy. A classic cake known as a pound cake is made of a combination of butter, sugar, eggs, as well as flour, with the mixture together weighing a pound.
- Sponge cakes, better known as foam cakes, are made from fresh cream that is first whipped, made from eggs, flour and sugar. Their primary feature is trapped air within a protein matrix (generally made of beaten eggs) that helps provide leavening, along with a bit of baking powder. They are one of the oldest of cakes that are made without yeast.
- Chiffon cakes are actually sponge cakes, containing vegetable oil, that adds moistness.
- Chocolate cakes can be butter cakes, sponge cakes, or any other form of cake, flavoured with molten chocolate, crushed chocolate or cocoa powder. Nowadays chocolate cake is also made of a number of layers of chocolate cream-filled cakes.
- Coffee cakes, are generally taken to be cakes that can be served with coffee, be it a light chocolate cake or a fruit cake. They are served with coffee or tea, as a part of breakfast or during light snacks. These cakes are often seen to sport a topping consisting of crumbs, called streusel that literally means light glazed drizzle.
- With rising baked cakes that don't have any flour, cheesecakes and flourless chocolate cakes are the most popular ones, and cheesecakes are not typically cakes, despite bearing the name. They are in fact originally custard pies-made using cheese in some form or the other, be it mascarpone, cheese cream, ricotta or others. These cakes have an old history since these is evidence of honey sweetened cheesecakes in ancient Greece.
- Butter or oil-layered cakes are basically the cakes that we order for birthdays and such, sold usually as packaged cakes. Baking powder or soda is used to provide the fluffiness and the texture. Flavouring can range from chocolate to carrot-virtually anything!
- Yeast cakes are among the very oldest of all cakes and are pretty similar to, what you know as yeast breads. These cakes are usually traditional in form and looks and consist of popular pastries like 'babka' and 'stollen'
Cake Shops Nearby
Be it Bangalore or Pune or Hyderabad, CakeZone is the Cake Shop that you should go to for the best quality cakes, freshly baked only for you. It has been a long way, for CakeZone, but currently they are in 3 cities, having 250+ varieties of cakes to offer you, with 43 chefs working to deliver more than 350 cakes daily! They are also rated 4.5+, in most platforms, be it Google or Facebook, or even Zomato. They make sure that their customers are happy and a happy customer is the only thing that makes them happy. As for home delivery, let me tell you, they have, till now, covered 4,00,000 km in distance to deliver freshly baked cakes to their customer-that is, they have covered the distance to the moon, and now the sun is the next challenge.
These physical stores remain open from 8am to 12pm, and you can order a cake by 10.30pm to avail same day delivery. Unlike other cake shops near you, they let you choose from over more than two hundred and fifty different cakes, and bake the cake freshly and get it delivered to the location of your choice- and in case you are looking to surprise a loved one on his or her birthday, with a late-night cake delivery, they are up for that as well-they offer midnight delivery in the cities in which they operate. The best thing about them is that, when you order cakes from CakeZone, there is absolutely no chance of you getting a cake that has been stored for a day or two. As soon as you place an order, their chefs get to work, to bake you the perfect cake that you want, as per your specifications, with fresh ingredients and fresh cream, and not the buttercream you are thrust with in most cakes available in the market. As soon as the cake is baked, their delivery boys get to work and make sure that the cake is delivered soon after, so that when you have the cake in your hands, it is still so fresh that you feel that the cake has just been taken out of the oven. Freshness and quality is something CakeZone does not sacrifice on, and you can say that by yourself, once you have had a bite of their amazing red velvet cake, or their mouth-watering three layered black forest cakes, which melts in your mouth as soon as you put it in.
To be very honest, the main thing that is seen as a negative of most cake delivery apps or websites are a plus for CakeZone. Most online Cake delivery services act as delivery person only! They pick up the cake from a retailer and have it delivered to you in pretty wrapping and accompany it with pretty flowers. All this takes your eyes of the real thing in question-the cake. However, like you can tell from the name itself, CakeZone is all about cakes. The 43 chefs working with us, have all had prior experience in baking and most had been associated with the desserts section of big and fancy hotel chains- and all had one thing in common-they wanted to bake amazing cakes! And this is why they joined CakeZone, to put a smile on the face of people by doing what they do best-baking cakes.
CakeZone might be the only 'cake shop' in India, that has a Research and Development team, only making and tasting cakes of new flavours, like ones with fresh fruits like peaches and oranges-and tasting them, to make sure that their customers will love these new generation cakes. They also try to bake cakes that might go with the season, or the festivals coming up, so that people can associate those with the cakes and make these cakes a part of the celebratory mood, and joy.
Where to get the best cupcakes
A cupcake, which translates roughly to 'fairy cake' in British English, is a small cake designed such that it can serve only a single person and is usually baked in a small thin paper or an aluminium cum. As for icing or decorations, same can be applied to a cupcake as well, though in a much smaller form.
The first time a cupcake was mentioned-well that can be traced as far back as 1796-in 'American Cookery by Amelia Simmons. The earliest of documentations are in "Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats" of Eliza Leslie in the 1820s.
Today, Cupcakes generally refer to a cake, whose ingredients, when mixed and measured in volume, come up to a standard sized cup. However, a cupcake was never really baked in a cup. Instead aluminium shapes, crude pottery and other things have been used, and continue to be used to this day. However, due to the resemblance of the final product to a cup-it somehow came to known as a cupcake.
A standard cupcake uses more or less the same ingredients as normal cake- butter, eggs, sugar, and flour. Almost any cake that you can imagine making in its usual shape and size, can be replicated in a cupcake. Anything ranging from choco chips to raisins can be incorporated into the mix so as to make the cupcake richer and tastier. Whatever you imagine with a cake-can actually be made into a cupcake as well.
Since smaller size makes for more efficient conduction of heat, cupcakes bake faster, and get ready faster, as compared to normal cakes. Cupcake toppings can be frosting or shaved chocolate bits or any other topping that you might desire. Cupcakes may be filled with fresh cream or chocolate or even fresh fruits. In commercial bakeries, these days, the filling is often injected with the help of a syringe. Well decorated and topped cupcakes are often served in desserts at special occasions.
- A cake in a mug, is a larger version of a cupcake and has gained massive popularity in the internet forum. The technique sees the use of a mug as its base and can be easily made in a microwave oven, with the recipe taking less than 5 minutes to prepare. The cake rises due to mixing of vegetable oil, that is usually olive oil or otherwise sunflower oil, into a mixture of flour and eggs, along with the other ingredients. As the oil in the mixture of all the ingredients heats up, it leads to the creation of air pockets and helps the cake rise quickly.
- A cake in a jar is another famous method of making a cupcake. Most shops sell beautiful looking cakes with three to four layers of cake and cream followed by beautiful topping in glass jars.
- A butterfly cake is another very popular variant of cupcake, also called fairy cake popularly, for its having fairy-like "wings". Like cupcakes, they can also be made from any flavour of cake. The top of the cake is cut off or carved out. The wings are often decorated with intricate patterns.
- Beautifully frosted cupcakes are often made for special occasions-like baby showers, graduations, and sometimes even for marriage ceremonies.
- A cake ball is a cake, round, such as a chocolate truffle, that is coated in chocolate. These are generally made from crumbled cake along with frosting, instead of the entire cake being made in a sphere shape which would be much more difficult.
- A gourmet cupcake is a costlier and richer variety of cupcake coming in flavours like Tiramisu and Cappuccino. These cupcakes have awesome fillings in them, setting them apart from any of the usual cupcakes that you may taste here and there. In recent years, shops have opened in big cities that sell only gourmet cupcakes.
At CakeZone you can buy a batch of freshly baked cupcakes and also get them delivered right to your doorstep, anytime you feel like having a cake, but don't want to make it a big affair or attract attention. Some of their best cupcake offerings-
- 6 Pieces of Chocolate Fudge Brownies.
- 6 Chocolate Topped Cupcakes
- 6 Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 6 Blueberry Cupcakes
- 6 Angry Birds Red Velvet Cupcakes
- And more!
In case you have an idea, and want it incorporated in a cupcake and need a big batch of it for a party, you should definitely contact CakeZone and they shall bring your dream cupcake to life and make cakes the centre of attraction of your huge party and make it a staggering success!
Bakeries in and around the city
While there might be innumerable cake shops or bakeries in and around your city, in case you are lucky enough to be in Bangalore or Pune or Hyderabad, then you should definitely come, visit a CakeZone store and get amazed by the sheer variety of two hundred fifty plus cakes they have on offer and the freshness and natural feeling you get as you bite into their cakes.
What about Birthday Cakes?
As for birthday cakes, CakeZone was founded keeping birthdays in mind, which is specifically why they offer midnight cake delivery, so that you can surprise your loved ones with their favourite cake right when the clock strikes twelve. Accompany the cake with fresh flowers from CakeZone and you have the right recipe to impress your sweetheart and make sure your love for her is understood.
CakeZone's large variety of cakes puts any cake-shop to shame, be it offline or online. Right from the usual cakes to Game of Thrones and Minions themed cakes, we have a cake for you, be your age 12 or 62, and a cake for any season or any occasion.
Where to get the best desserts?
When one talks of desserts, the first word that comes to my mind is cakes, and why not? You can eat a cake with ice cream, you can heat it and eat it in half molten form. You can freeze it and eat it! And it comes in flavours unimaginable and can come topped with anything from the usual fresh cream to fresh fruits or even dark chocolate, or a fruit cut in the shape of a flower to bird!
And in case you are looking for the best desserts to go with the main course so that the end is more than perfect, the only place you need to know about is CakeZone, baking fresh cakes filled with fresh cream and ingredients bought daily from local markets-it's the only place that puts more than just ingredients into your cake- they put love in it. Have you heard of a Cake-Shop with a research and development team that focuses purely on giving you an out of the world experience the next time you order a cake online- well CakeZone has such a team. They promise to give you same day delivery so that even if you forget about the end of the course, CakeZone does not let you down.
Why trust CakeZone?
For the simple reason that it is a big name, and everyone trusts them! A few instances in the past when CakeZone took huge responsibilities for partners-
- When Burger King celebrated its 100th outlet in India, it decided to do so in style, by sending a surprise chocolate cake to each one of their stores with the message- "Celebrating 100 Stores". All those yummy cakes were baked and delivered by CakeZone who made the day very special for all the people involved.
- When Cars24.com turned 2, CakeZone helped them in celebrating their second anniversary in a way like never before. They delivered cakes at more than ten branch offices in Bangalore, at the same time and all their employees in all their different branch offices came together in the respective offices to celebrate their second anniversary. CakeZone, helped Cars24 save a lot of time and effort in the arrangement of cakes at their multiple branch offices.
These are just two of the many challenges CakeZone has undertaken and as you might understand, baking and delivering three hundred and fifty fresh cakes in three cities, is no joke, and is itself, a daily challenge, and CakeZone fulfils it in style and grace and makes sure that each and every single customer is personally attended to and is in no way unsatisfied with the service, because after all, CakeZone isn't just selling cakes, it is providing a service to people, and making people happy is what really matters, bringing a smile to the ones receiving the cakes and the ones tasting them, is what really matters, and not their profits or their sales. What CakeZone wants is to make fresh cakes available to all, very easily and at affordable prices, so that people do not have to go to retail stores and choose from the same set of five to ten cakes, that they have been having for decades, anymore.